I grew up eating veggie patties. Mom would serve them smothered in gravy and accompanied by potatoes and a veggies. Leftovers would be recycled as “hamburgers” for lunches or snacks. We usually have some sort of veggie burger or veggie loaf in the fridge for exactly the same reason.
I probably have 25 versions of this recipe, but this happens to be the one I used today.
BEAN VEGGIE PATTIES/BURGERS
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet
- In a large frying pan sauté 2 cups of grated veggies in olive oil. The important thing is two cups of veggies not the kinds, but for the record here is what we used today was
- 1 medium onion
- Garlic to taste
- Mixed peppers (I use a mix of Jalapeno and Anaheim)
- 1 carrot
- When onions are clear add herbs and spices and continue to cook 5 minutes longer (you may need to add a little extra oil):
- 1Tablespoons fresh thyme or 1Teaspoons dried
- 1 Teaspoons dried mustard or 1Tablespoon prepared mustard
- Optional: 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of cumin
- While the veggies are sautéing, get out the food processor
- Grind 1/2 c of dried bread into crumbs
- When the veggies are done throw them into the food processor with the dried bread crumbs and add
- 1 1/2 cup of black beans (or 1 15 oz can of drained black beans
- 1/4 cup applesauce or for those who are not vegan add 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- Pulse the entire mixture in the food processor about 20 times or until it is well mixed and then empty it into a large bowl
- Take a handful of the mixture and make it into a 3 inch ball; you should have between 6 and 8 patties
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 1/2 hour
- Pull patties out of the oven and turn over; once they are turned use the spatula to gently flatten each one out
- Return to the oven and bake for 1/2 hour
If you are in a hurry or you don’t want to heat the kitchen up with the oven you can always fry them in a shallow pan. In any case the extras make wonderful sandwiches.
Got any veggie burger recipes you want to share? Send them to me! I will try them out and then publish them giving you full credit and a link to your email, blog or website.