Ready to take the pledge?
FARM is asking Americans to “kick the meat habit” for one day — March 20 (first day of spring). All you have to do is sign their pledge to eat vegan for one day! And you can pledge to eat vegan one day per week or for always. It’s up to you!
The pledge, Meatout, is spearheaded by FARM and is an international movement dedicated to exposing the public to the joys and benefits of a plant-based diet. In addition they promote availability and selection alternatives to meat and dairy in grocery stores, restaurants and catering operations. Their grassroots education campaign started in 1985 and has grown each year.
I am not a big pledge taker, but I like and support any idea that promotes a plant-based diet and this is one worth mention
There are many reasons to eat vegan:
- Health reasons: weight loss, preventing heart disease and type 2 diabetes
- Cruelty to animal reasons
- Resource preservation
- Because it is cool: 20% of teens think being vegetarian is cool
Meatout promotes a vegan diet primarily for cruelty to animal reasons and to promote resource preservation. Their goal is to get 25,000 pledges which they say will save:
- 8,000 animals from being tortured and killed
- 3.7 million square feet of forest from being destroyed
- 10,500 doses of antibiotics from being misused on farms